Basement Mold is a common problem for anyone with a basement especially in the greater Chicago area as mold has become a popular topic of conversation between homeowners in the last few years as information has spread about the danger that mold brings.
It doesn’t take much mold in your basement to make a large problem, because microscopic mold spores, or mycotoxins, drift through the air and they can make you very sick, when you inhale them. The human body has a hard time as it is almost impossible for us to break down the mycotoxins once they get into our lungs, which is what makes mold so dangerous to humans.
People treat mold like it is not a big deal way too often. As a professional mold removal technician, with over 18 years of experience as a certified mold remediation technician in the greater Chicago area, I can recall literally thousands of Chicago homeowners and residents just kind of shrugging it off like it isn’t a big deal that there is mold in the basement.
Wake up! Mold is dangerous and should be treated as such. Call a company that has a lot of experience with mold remediation. Call a company that makes sure all of their mold removal technicians are certified mold remediation technicians that have the proper training and tools to do the mold remediation job correctly.
Health Hazards Posed by Mold
Exposure to mold can cause or contribute to many health problems, including: Allergic reactions,Rashes and hives,Itching,Sneezing,Runny nose or “stuffed up” nose,Coughing, Hives, Eye irritation,Sore throat, Wheezing,Headaches or migraines,Shortness of breath,Sinus infections,Bronchitis,Pneumonia, Extremely painful inflammation of the joints, Drowsiness or Fatigue, General feeling of malaise or being unwell.
Exposure to mold can make anyone sick, but elderly people, babies, and people with health problems like asthma or disorders of the immune system are particularly vulnerable to mold-related illnesses. Pets can get sick as a result of exposure to mold in the home too!
It is important to call 2nd Chance Water Restoration to handle your mold damage situation, because the very process of removing mold from your basement, bathroom, or attic can actually increase your exposure to mold. It is important that you take the risk of cross contamination seriously, because mold spores do not need much to become airborne and spread like a rash causing damage and health risks everywhere.
Cleaning mold incorrectly will put spores p, or mycotoxins, up into the air, where it is much easier to inhale. If you must remove moldy cellulose material like carpets, or drywall, then even more spores will become airborne. It is important to do the mold removal process correctly to prevent the spreading of mold. You need to establish containment, negative air, and do the appropriate safety equipment, before you even consider cleaning, or attempting to remove the mold.
2nd Chance Water Restoration provides professional sewage cleanup, mold remediation, and water damage pro services to an area that includes the city of Chicago, the rest of Cook County, eight nearby Illinois counties (Lake, McHenry, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Grundy, Will, and Kankakee), and the two Indiana counties of Lake and Porter.
Tips On Removing Mold:
Wear the correct safety gear, including disposable gloves, disposable hair and shoe covers, and a face mask with a respirator.
Blocking off the contaminated area, or establishing containment barriers, from other areas of the home with heavy sheets of plastic.
Setting up negative pressure in the contaminated area to prevent air flow out of the mold zone. Negative pressure prevents airborne mold spores, or mycotoxins, from traveling to other areas outside the work space.
Use a HEPA Vac to clean up dust and debris created when removing moldy materials like drywall, carpet, and fabric.
Seal moldy materials like drywall, insulation, and carpet in heavy plastic trash bags before carrying them out of the home to discard them. Make sure to wipe and vac the outside of the bag.
***attention*** People with certain health conditions, including mold allergies, heart conditions, asthma, other respiratory disorders, and disorders of the immune system should not clean up mold because the health risks of increased exposure to mold spores are too great. If you’re not sure whether it’s safe for you to clean up mold or not, talk with your physician.***